Infertility is defined as a couple unable to achieve pregnancy, after one year of unprotected intercourse. Approximately 15% couple attempting their first pregnancy meet with failure. The fact is, male factor infertility contributes to about 50% of the infertility cases. In 30% of cases sub fertility is found in male alone. Evaluation of male partner is very easy and simple. Therefore it is better to start investigation from male partner.
In most cases Intercourse, Erection and Sperm ejaculation usually happens naturally. The quantity and appearance Of Semen is also normal. Only Semen analysis can find out or ruled out Male Infertility.
The complete process of sperm formation and increase and decrease of the sperm count are inter-related and based on a lot of factors involved in the process. These causes could be very basic or complex.
• Any abnormality in the testicles where sperms are produced can lead to low sperm count.
• Any abnormality in the functioning of glands related to sperm production, pituitary and hypothalamus may lead to low sperm count.
• Abnormal ducts that carry sperms and disorder of the penis
• Swelling in the veins of testicles
• Infections, especially the STD’s
• Ejaculatory problems
• Medications, especially antibiotics can kill sperms
• Undescended testes in the scrotum
• Imbalance in hormones
• Surgical procedures like chemotherapy
• Genetic defect in the chromosomes
In modern medicine IVI, IVF are common treatments which are expensive, invasive & impractical for many couples with limited success rate. But Ayurveda helps to produce Quality Sperms & Quality Ovum in short period with no adverse effects.
Inorder to restore fertility, often medicines or surgery is used and if suitable response is lacking, intrauterine insemination;(IUI), in vitro fertilization (IVF), or IVF with intracytoplasmatic sperm injection;(ICSI) are done. The success of IVF is not guaranteed, & patients often have to undergo more than one cycle of treatment before they are successful. Currently just over 25% of all IVF cycles result in a live birth. This naturally varies woman to woman, and a fertility specialist will be able to give a more accurate and personalised likelihood of success. It is important to be realistic.
Men conceived through the method known as intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) or in vitro fertilization [IVF] were nearly three times more likely to have sperm concentrations below 15 million per millilitre. "Kids conceived through ICSI or in vitro fertilization [IVF] can have low birth weight and higher chance of heart and respiratory issues, and may be at a higher risk for autism or attention deficit hyperactivity," Samadi added There may be associated side effects. As a medical treatment, IVF comes with a small chance of developing side effects, the most severe of these being severe ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome (OHSS).
Multiple pregnancy. In IVF treatments, there is often more than one embryo put back into the uterus, and this leads to a higher likelihood of multiple pregnancy; around 20-30% of IVF pregnancies are multiple pregnancies. Multiple pregnancies do carry associated health risks to mother and baby: there is an increased chance of premature labour, miscarriage, need for caesarean, stillbirth and infant health problems with multiple pregnancies.
There is a slightly higher chance of ectopic pregnancy. With IVF treatment, the risk of an ectopic pregnancy doubles, to 1-3%, particularly in women with damaged fallopian tubes.
AZOOSPERMIA – Azoospermia is defined as the absence of spermatozoa in the ejaculation. Spermatogenesis is the process of sperm development which takes place within testes. It takes 10 weeks to develop mature sperm from Spermatogonia (Germ cell). These medicines restore spermatogenesis process and helps in maturation of sperm cell.
Azoospermia (Maturation Arrest Defect and Hypo spermatogenesis) patients have to continue these medicines for 3 months, and then patient should repeat semen analysis. Many patients count has been reached to normal level after 3 months of treatment and conception takes place in a natural way. Success rate is 40% in Azoospermia cases.
OLIGOSPERMIA – A man’s fertility generally relies on the quantity and quality of his sperm. If the number of sperm a man ejaculates is low or if the sperm are of a poor quality, it will be difficult, and sometimes impossible, for him to cause a pregnancy.
- > The concentration of spermatozoa should be at least 15 million per ml.
- > The total volume of semen should be at least 2ml.
- > The total number of spermatozoa in the ejaculate should be at least 30 million.
- > At least 75 per cent of the spermatozoa should be alive (it is normal for up to 25 per cent to be dead).
These formulated Ayurvedic medicines in our Pharmacy have shown 3 to 4 fold increase in sperm count within 2 months of treatment. There is also improvement in seminal volume and Sperm viability. Success rate is 95% in cases of Oligospermia. Patients have to continue this treatment till count reaches up to 40 millions.
Astheospermia - Reduced motility of sperms. Sperm Motility. Motility (the speed and quality of movement) is graded on a 1-4 ranking system. For fertility, motility should be greater than 2.
- Grade 1 sperm wriggle sluggishly and make little forward progress. (Sperm that, in fact, clump together may indicate that antibodies to the sperm are present.)
- Grade 2 sperm move forward, but they are either very slow or do not move in a straight line.
- Grade 3 sperm move in a straight line at a reasonable speed and can home in on an egg accurately.
- Grade 4 sperm are as accurate as Grade 3 sperm, but move at a very rapid speed.
More than 63% of sperm should be motile for normal fertility. These medicines helps to increase Grade 3 and Grade 4 Sperm motility, Results can be observed after 2 months of treatment.
To Restore Process of spermatogenesis (Formation of Sperm):
- > Maintain General Hygiene
- > Exercise regularly
- > Proper spacing of coitus
- > Have high protein and high vitamin diet
- > Limit the consumption of Tobacco and Alcohol
- > Avoid smoking as it damages sperm DNA
- > Avoid excessive heat to the testes
- > Discard tight underwear, electric blankets and excessive bed cloths
- > Take cold water or tepid water bath instead hot water bath
- > Drink boiled water
- > Maintain proper weight
- > Do meditation, It relieves mental tension and keeps you away from anxiety
- > Last and not the least: Take dosage of these Medicines as prescribed.